Is Sea Kayaking Milford Sound for me?
If you’re keen to escape the crowded tour boats and really get amongst nature with a local guide then YES! We welcome first time paddlers and pros alike! With a choice of six totally different adventures, there’s a trip to suit everyone.
Is there a minimum age?
You must be at least 14 years old to sea kayak.
How many people do you take in your groups?
Our groups are always small, usually six to eight paddlers with a local guide. So it’s a good idea to book early and avoid missing out.
Can I rent a kayak to explore Milford Sound by myself?
Nope. Unfortunately our concession to operate in Milford Sound does not allow for rental options.
How fit do I need to be?
That will depend on the adventure you are considering. Our “Easy Rider” trip is designed for anyone wanting to experience the fun of paddling regardless of fitness. At the other end of the scale, you’ll need moderate fitness and stamina in order to complete our Morning Glory trip with a smile on your face!
Get in touch if you’re still unsure which trip is for you.
What if the weather is bad?
Your safety and well-being are our top priority. Strong winds can cause us to cancel sea kayaking trips from time to time. Rain on the otherhand is “sweet as” and all trips will proceed as normal, just be prepared to witness some of the world’s most spectacular waterfalls!
What time of year should I come?
Kayaking in Milford Sound is an amazing experience no matter what time of year you decide to try it. We’ve summed up some of the general differences in the seasons for you below.
Winter (April – October)
- More settled weather conditions usually result in very calm water – ideal for exploring Milford from a sea kayak.
- Less crowds make winter the premium time to visit Milford Sound.
- Less motor boats cruising Milford Sound. More peace and tranquility – just the splash of our paddles.
- More photo opportunities often mirror like reflections of famous icons like mile high Mitre Peak.
- Less sandflies and often none at all. Let’s face it; this would make your day in paradise even better!
Summer (November – March)
- Long Daylight hours allow us to operate a number of sunrise and twilight trips which allow us to dodge the noise of tour boats, planes and helicopters.
- More time to fit in other Milford Sound experiences such as walking on the famous ‘Milford Track’ and various other alpine walks in the park. Checkout our range of kayaking combos to make the most of your time here.
What do I need to bring in my bag?
- Lip balm SPF15
- Insect repellent
- Soft shoes or sandals
- Warm clothing
- Wool or fleece hat
- Waterproof jacket
- Lunch and high energy snack foods
- Change of clothes
What is provided?
We kit you out with all the specialist paddling gear including buoyancy aid, spray skirt, spray jacket, thermals, fleece and poggies (like gloves but better) and a dry bag for your camera. Quality sea kayaks with foot operated rudders help make exploring Milford Sound a pretty amazing experience.
Will I capsize?
Not usually – capsizes are fairly rare as our double kayaks are seriously stable. But if you do capsize your guide will be close by to help you back into your kayak quickly. You will also receive a full safety briefing prior to your trip commencing.
What is the difference between a boat cruise and a kayak trip on Milford Sound?
Hands down there’s no comparison! Our sea kayaks can go places the cruise boats can only dream of! This allows you to get up close and personal with our world famous fiord and all of its inhabitants minus the noise and crowds. Even Lonely Planet rates Rosco’s Milford Kayaks the best way to experience Milford Sound.
Why the early starts in Summer?
Three of our trips start fairly early in the early summer (Nov – Feb) our Day Safari (5.45am), Morning Glory and Sunriser Classic (7.15am). All of these trips seek to maximise quality paddling conditions on the water in relation to the length of the trip. Every fine, sunny day during summer months results in a strong day breeze developing mid to late morning which can make conditions fairly challenging. Our early starts make the most of the calmer water conditions for excellent photo opportunities and brilliant wildlife observing.
- Local Guides – we don’t just work here, we live here too. Let us show you round our backyard!
- 20 Years Experience – You’re in very safe hands with the pioneers of commercial sea kayaking in Milford Sound.
- Owner operated – we’re a small team of passionate kayaking guides with a love for Milford Sound.
- More trips – We offer a variety of trips to suit everybody. Choose the one that suits you and book early so you don’t miss out.
What is your Cancellation/Refund Policy?
Cancellations made at least 24 hours in advance will receive a full refund
No refund will be given in the event of the following:
- Less than 24 hours notice
- No show or late for departure
- Staff deem a client not suitable to participate due to ill health, intoxication or poor level of fitness.
We strongly recommend taking out travel insurance which will cover you against potential cancellations situations (for example: sleep in, vehicle breakdowns, an unexpected illness or injury).
Rosco's Milford Kayaks reserves the right to cancel or change any part of any kayaking trip or the Day Safari road trip from Te Anau. This could be due to, but not limited to, adverse sea, river, road or weather conditions. If WE cancel the trip due to sue to such reasons we will give you a full refund*
*Please note: Our Day Safari does not refund if the kayaking portion of the trip has to cancel but we will substitute the kayaking portion of the trip with a Nature Cruise and an extended tour via the Holly ford Valley back to Te Anau.